Glastonbury 2021: Festival axed ‘with great regret’
Glastonbury Festival has been cancelled for a second year running due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The news was announced on Thursday on the Worthy Farm event’s Twitter page.
“With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place,” said festival organisers Michael and Emily Eavis.
“And that this will be another enforced fallow year for us. Tickets for this year will roll over to next year. Michael & Emily.”
The full statement on the festival website read: “In spite of our efforts to move heaven and earth, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make the Festival happen this year. We are so sorry to let you all down.”
It confirmed that as with last year, anyone with a ticket will now be offered the opportunity to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, when the festival will hopefully resume.
“We are very appreciative of the faith and trust placed in us by those of you with deposits, and we are very confident we can deliver something really special for us all in 2022!”
Last month, organiser Emily Eavis told the BBC she hoped the festival could go ahead, despite the “huge uncertainty” surrounding live music in the pandemic.
“We’re doing everything we can on our end to plan and prepare,” she told the BBC, “but I think we’re still quite a long way from being able to say we’re confident 2021 will go ahead.”
Eavis said Glastonbury lost “millions” in 2020. Her father, Michael, has previously warned the festival “would seriously go bankrupt” if they had to cancel again next year.